View full on TED-Ed: How did Hitler rise to power?
Divide et impera. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
The second video shows how ordinary people change after they have given authority to a wrong person or group:
See full on TED: Philip Zimbardo - The psychology of evil
To quote Zimbardo, there are only 7 social processes that grease "the slippery slope of evil":
- Mindlessly taking the first small step
- Dehumanization of others
- De-individuation of self (anonymity)
- Diffusion of personal responsibility
- Blind obedience to authority
- Uncritical conformity to group norms
- Passive tolerance of evil through inaction or indifference